How can managers of salesforces improve the performance of their sales personnel? These authors suggest that, in the specialized area of personal selling, a combination of transactional and transformational leadership will help them to achieve better results. They present ways to recruit leaders with transformational qualities and develop leadership skills in current employees.
1. D. Berry and K. Abrahansen, “The Types of Salesmen to Understand and Motivate, ” Industrial Marketing Management, July 1981, pp. 207–218.
2. Wall Street Journal, 10 September 1991, p. 1.
3. Wall Street Journal, 24 September 1991, p. 1.
4. J.M. Burns, leadership(New York: Harper & Row, 1978); and B.M. Bass, Leadership and Performance beyond Expectations (New York: Free Press, 1985).
5. J.S. Selvaggi and a staff of University of Maryland faculty members, “CEO Leadership Profiles in High-Technology Firms” (College Park, Maryland: Working Paper, 28 September 1991).
6. J.D. Clopton,”Becoming Proactive about Recruitment,” Sales and Marketing Management,September 1992, pp. 93–97.
7. Bass (1985).
8. W. Rodgers,Think (New York: Stein & Day, 1972).
9. G. Graen, M.A. Novak, and P. Sommersamp, “The Effects of Leader-Member Exchange and Job Design on Productivity and Satisfaction Testing a Dual Attachment Model,” Organizational Behavior and Human Performance,30 August 1982, pp. 109–131.
10. B.J. Bass and B.J. Avolio, Manual for the Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire (Palo Alto, California: Consulting Psychologists Press, 1990); and
B.J. Bass, Bass and Stogdill’s Handbook of Leadership (New York: Free Press, 1990).
11. For a review and description, see:
12. J.M. Howell and P.J. Frost, “A Laboratory Study of Charismatic Leadership,” Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 43 (1989): 243–269.
13. Bass and Avolio (1990).
B.J. Avolio, D.A. Waldman, and F.J. Yammarino, “The Four I’s of Transformational Leadership,” Journal of European Industrial Training 15 (1990): 9–16.