Subscription access and devices
How do I gain access to articles on the site?
MIT SMR articles are available as follows:
Unregistered visitors may search, read landing pages, and view blog items and videos.
Registered site members may read three free articles per month.
Subscribers may read any article or content item on the site.
I gave an email and password when I purchased my subscription, how do I gain access to the MIT SMR site?
Subscribers have access to all site content. Sign in using the email and password you gave when you subscribed.
I subscribed by mail and don't have an email and password on record. How do I gain access to the MIT SMR site?
Follow these steps.
- Start by looking up your subscription account.
- Once you find your record, click on “change your address.”
- Add your email address to your record and submit.
- Go to the signup page for sloanreview.mit.edu.
- Enter the email address you entered for your subscription account and choose a password. Submit.
- Log out, and then use the email and password you chose to log in again.
I downloaded the MIT SMR app from iTunes and/or Google Play. Can I access content that way?
Yes, in two ways. If you've subscribed with us, but prefer to use the iTunes or Android app, just give the email address you gave us when the app prompts you. This will give you access to all the print content of our magazine. Or, you can subscribe or buy single copies directly from the app.
How do I check my expire date, renew, change my address, or pay my subscription bill?
Use the subscription self-service site to manage your subscription.
How do I manage my enewsletter subscriptions?
Please use our subscriber preferences page to change or update your enewsletter subscriptions.
When should I expect print issues?
We mail our quarterly issues on approximately the 20th of March, June, September and December. Delivery in the US takes 1-2 weeks; international delivery takes 3-4 weeks.
Permission to distribute or post articles
How much do articles and permissions cost?
View our pricing page for information about about cost and purchasing options.
How do I get permission to distribute an article?
At the top of every article there is a buy button on the left. Click the buy button and choose "PDF + permission to distribute" to gain permission. There is a permission fee to distribute articles.
Can I distribute PDFs via e-mail?
Yes. The permission fee applies to each copy that you email. When transmitting electronically, please inform each recipient that MIT SMR’s material is copyrighted, and no further reproduction or distribution can be made without the express written consent of MIT Sloan Management Review.
Can I post your articles on my company's website?
How do I get permission to use an article in a book?
You can order book permissions by emailing Tribune Content Agency with the information below. Pricing is based on the book’s print run and starts at $500.
- Title of book / magazine (may need a sample if new publication)
- Author(s) / editor(s)
- Publication date / issue date
- Print run / circulation size
- Title(s) of MIT SMR article(s) — not to exceed two
- Requestor's address, including billing contact
Payment is due upon the book's publication date.
Can I get custom reprints of an article with my company's logo?
Yes. We are more than happy to assist you in developing a custom reprint for your company function or presentation. Please contact Customer Service at 617-253-7170 or e-mail us for more information.
Can I translate an article into another language?
Yes, if the article is for academic use. Obtain permission using the instructions above, and you are free to translate. If the translated article is to be published in a magazine or book, please contact at our international syndicator, Tribune Content Agency.
Shopping and store
I bought an article, but I'm not able to open the PDF link. What is wrong?
You will need the most current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader to view our PDFs. You can download this directly through the Adobe website. You may also need to upgrade your browser software (e.g. Internet Explorer, Netscape, Firefox, etc.) for the Reader to launch properly from the download link.
Other ways to troubleshoot this problem are:
- Clear your browser's cache or temporary internet files folder.
- Save the PDF to your computer, and then open the file.
- Open the Adobe Reader software first, then open the PDF document you downloaded.
If you close the "Thank You" page on which the download link displays, you will not be able to download the PDF from your browser. However, you will receive an e-mail receipt displaying the same download link.
I bought a PDF. I keep getting an error message saying that I have exceeded the download limit. What is this?
For security reasons, the PDF link has an imposed limit which only allows you to access the article for a period of four days from the time of purchase. It is also important that you single-click on the link to download the article, and save it to your computer at the time of purchase for future reading. By doing this, you will also avoid exceeding the maximum number of clicks on the download link.
Why do I get an error message when entering my credit card information?
Payment processing errors can occur for several reasons. Here are some common problems:
- You entered a ZIP code in your shopping cart which is different from the ZIP code on your customer information screen. Please note that the ZIP code field in the shopping cart is related to the shipping address. If you enter a different ZIP code in the customer checkout screen, you will receive an error.
- Always click on the "Update" button in the shopping cart when making changes to the ZIP code and shipping method (if applicable).
- Make sure that the ZIP codes are the same, and be sure to check the box in the customer checkout screen. If not the same, fill in the appropriate information on the customer checkout screen.
- You incorrectly entered your credit card number, expiration date or name on the credit card.
- If using a corporate purchasing card, there may be restrictions on the card that prevent you from transacting with an academic institution. Please check with your institution's purchasing card administrator to rectify this problem, or use a different credit card.
Why do the reprints/PDFs have gray-shaded boxes?
For copyright reasons, we do not include copyrighted photography in PDFs or paper reprints. You can be assured, however, that the text remains the same, and any graphics, such as tables or charts, will be included.
Can I purchase a back issue?
Back issues are sold on our website. We do not stock every issue, so availability is limited. You can find available issues by searching the magazine archives. You can then click on the given issue/date and purchase the issue you want.
Services for faculty
Do you have an Academic Preview policy?
Yes. Please contact us to get a review copy of any article. Please provide the names of the instructor, the institution, and the course.
Is there a permission discount for faculty?
Yes. Enter ACADEMIC in the promotion box of your cart, and give the name of the instructor, the institution, and the course.
Where do I get information on submitting an article to MIT SMR?
Please visit our author guidelines page for complete instructions.
For libraries and organizations
Please visit our organizational subscription page for complete information.